Saturday, March 24, 2007

Confession of a Thief

Hello, hello.

You may remember me from SKWRKING. Alas, I just could not keep up! To tell you the truth, I think I was intimidated by the quality of others' blogs and avoided posting because, as a college student, I was eating boring meals and had no time for red wine reductions and chestnut puree.

So here is my second attempt: a foodblog in which I immediately state my status as a college student. Is that to say you will be enlightened with variations on ramen noodles? Absolutely not!

I decided to start this new blog when I realized a dirty habit of mine: I steal from my university's dining center.

Well, I suppose it's not really stealing if I've already paid for it. But with the posted signs stating "Food is not to be taken out of the dining centers," meaning that students must eat their meals in the dining center and not wander outside or down to the lounges with them, it always feels like such a crime to walk out of the dining center with an apple.

I used to hate the dining centers, with their sodium, fat, and cholesterol-rich foods and lack of variety. But then it dawned on me that while I may not use the dining center as a resource for meals, I can certainly use it as a resource for food: When I had the urge to make chicken noodle soup, I didn't go to the grocery store. I went to the dining center for grilled chicken breast, celery, carrots, and onions.

And I don't walk out of the dining center with just one apple.

I walk out with five.

So I can make apple pie, of course.

;)


So, cheers.

Here's to commitment: May I update this blog regularly with my dining center thievery, college-limited foodie adventures, and anecdotes from life in general.

1 comment:

alan said...

"i walk out with five" Ha! That's great. Welcome back.